VIRTUAL EXPLORER’S WEEKEND 2021
Thursday February 4th and Friday February 5th, 2021
THURSDAY FEB 4, 2021
10:30 – 11:30 – Welcome, school tour, Richard welcome
- We will embark on a live zoom tour of the school. You will see all the spots important to students with some live commentary along the way
- We finish the tour in one of the classrooms where we will encounter VSTs principal, Richard Topping who will share the vision and mission of the school along with the latest news.
11:30 – 12:00 – on your own
12:00 – 1:00 – Community Worship
- In non pandemic times students, staff, faculty and guests find their way to Epiphany chapel where they spend an hour in worship together every Thursday before sharing in a community lunch.
- This year all worship services happen through zoom.
1:00 – 2:00 – on your own for lunch
2:00 – 5:00 – Afternoon class
- You can choose to be a guest in one of two classes (please let Julie know before Feb 4):
- Dr. Harry Maier’s class, “Paul” - https://vst.edu/courses/paul-duplicate/
- Rabbi Laura Duhan-Kaplan’s class, “Sacred Texts and Oral Traditions” - https://vst.edu/courses/sacred-texts-oral-traditions/
Evening for your own reflection.
FRIDAY FEB 5, 2021
8:30 – 9:50 – Breakfast with students
- Everyone will have their own breakfasts in their own space, but will join through zoom for Breakfast together. About a half dozen current students will be in the room. There’ll be some time for them to share about their experience at VST, and you will have lots of time to ask them any questions you like (without having any staff or faculty listening in!) so prepare your questions ahead of time.
9:50 – 10:00 – Bio break
10:00 – 12:00 – G. Peter Kaye Lecture with Amy-Jill Levine
- This year our guest lecturer will be Dr. Amy-Jill Levine.
- The title of her lecture is: Understanding Jesus Means Understanding Judaism
- And, full details can be found here: https://vst.edu/event/understanding-jesus-means-understanding-judaism/
12:00 – 1:00 – Lunch on your own
1:00 – 2:00 – Time with the DDFs
- Directors of Denominational Foundation are professors at the school who journey with you during your education. They focus on your faith tradition learning and development.
- You will have a chance in this session to be with other explorers of your own denomination to dive more deeply into your faith’s experience at the school.
- Again, think of some questions you’d like to ask.
2:00 – 2:15 – Bio Break
2:15 – 3:15 – Theology 10% with two professors
- Each professor at VST is passionate about their area of expertise. In this session you will hear from Rev. Dr. Ray Aldred and Rev. Dr. Jason Byassee.
3:15 – 3:30 – Bio Break
3:30 – 4:30 – “Learning on the Outside” a Panel Discussion with students about field placement experience.
- Students spend time learning in the field as well as in class. Students are responsible for crafting learning experiences that will help them develop in areas that challenge them or in which they don’t yet have a lot of experience. Listen to their experiences, surprises and learnings in this session. And, be ready to ask questions.
4:30 – 5:00 – Final wrap up and goodbyes.
- Richard will join us once more to say goodbye, and then we will have a few minutes for evaluations before we part ways.